Research scientist at CNR-ISTM, Via Golgi 19, 20133 Milan (Italy)
Expertise: X-ray diffraction techniques at both room and low temperature, theoretical ab initio modelling (gas and solid state).
Raffaella Soave obtained her Laurea in Chemistry at the University of Milan in 1993 and her Ph.D. in Chemical Sciences in 1998 at the University of Milan. She then obtained her diploma at the Specialization School in Materials Science and Technology at the Department of Materials Science of the University of Milano Bicocca in 2000.
In 2001 she joined the Institute of Molecular Sciences and Technologies (ISTM) of CNR as a researcher. She is author/coauthor of 33 publications in high quality peer reviewed international journals (h index 10), 2 book chapters in international books with ISBN and of numerous communications at national and international meetings.
She has been co-supervisor of MSc students of the Master Degree in Chemical Science at the Department of Physical Chemistry and Electrochemistry of the University of Milano and since 2001 she has been working as assistant professor for the courses of “Physical Chemistry B” and “Physical Chemistry (Crystallochemistry)” for the same Degree.
In 2008 she has been member of the Organizing Commitee for the ECDM-V (5th European Charge Density Meeting) in Gravedona (Como). Since 2010 she has been collaborating with Euresis Association for the Promotion of the Scientific Endeavour. In 2014 she has joined the Organizing Commitee for the Event organized within the celebration of the International Year of Crystallography: “Cristalli! In Unimi” (Milano, 12-29 Giugno 2014) and also the Organizing Committee for the SAGAMORE XVIII IUCr Commission on Charge, Spin and Momentum Densities (CSMD), which will be held in Santa Margherita di Pula, Sardegna, in 2015 (7-12 June 2015).
Her research field is the crystal structure determination through single-crystal X-ray diffraction and the theoretical (with ab initio methods in both gas-phase and solid state) and experimental (through X-ray diffraction at low temperature) determination of the electron density distribution, of the electrostatic properties and of the intermolecular interaction energies in organic molecular crystals of chemical and pharmaceutical interest.
1. L. Lo Presti, A. M. Orlando, L. Loconte, R. Destro, E. Ortoleva, R. Soave, C. Gatti
Single N–C bond becomes shorter than formally double N=C bond in a thiazete-1,1-dioxide crystal: an experimental and theoretical study of strong crystal field effects. Cryst. Growth Des. 2014, 14, 4418-4429.
2. M. Sansotera, C. Gambarotti, A. Famulari, A. Baggioli, R. SOAVE, F. Venturini, S. V. Meille, I. Wlassics, W. Navarrini
Free-radical selective functionalization of 1,4-naphthoquinones by perfluorodiacyl peroxides. Tetrahedron, 2014, 70, 5298-5309.
3. A. Bonetti, F. Clerici, F. Foschi, D. Nava, S. Pellegrino, M. Penso, R. SOAVE, M. L. Gelmi
syn/anti Switching by Specific Heteroatom–Titanium Coordination in the Mannich-Like Synthesis of 2,3-Diaryl-β-amino Acid Derivatives. Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2014, 3203-3209.
4. S. Pellegrino, A. Contini, M. L. Gelmi, R. SOAVE, L. Lo Presti, E. Erba
Asymmetric modular synthesis of semi-rigid Gly-Pro dipeptide mimetic by cascade cycloaddition/ring rearrangement and borohydride reduction. J. Org. Chem., 2014, 79, 3094-3102.
5. R. SOAVE, P. Colombo
Intermolecular C—H…O, Cl…Cl and p…p interactions in the 2-dichloromethyl derivative of vitamin K3. Acta Cryst, 2013, C69, 1563-1566.
6. R. Destro, E. Sartirana, L. Loconte, R. SOAVE, P. Colombo, C. Destro, L. Lo Presti, Competing C=O···C=O, C−H···O, Cl···O, and Cl···Cl Interactions Governing the Structural Phase Transition of 2,6-Dichloro-p-benzoquinone at Tc = 122.6 K, Cryst. Growth Des. 2013, 13, 4571−4582.
7. G. Saleh, R. SOAVE, L. Lo Presti, R. Destro, Progress in the Understanding of the Key Pharmacophoric Features of the Antimalarial Drug Dihydroartemisinin: An Experimental and Theoretical Charge Density Study. Chemistry-A European Journal, vol. 19 (2013) 3490-3503.
8. A. Ruffoni, A. Casoni, S. Pellegrino, M. L. Gelmi, R. Soave, F. Clerici Sulfanyl-methylene-5(4H)-oxazolones and b-Sulfanyl-a -nitroacrylates as appealing dienophiles for the synthesis of conformationally constrained cysteine analogue. Tetrahedron, vol. 68, (2012) 1951-1962.
9. L. Beverina, A. Sanguineti, G. Battagliarin, R. Ruffo, D. Roberto, S. Righetto, R. SOAVE, L. Lo Presti, R. Ugo, G. A. Pagani, UV Absorbing Zwitterionic Pyridinium-Tetrazolate. Exceptional Transparency/Optical Nonlinearity Tradeoff, Chemical Communications, 47 (2011) 292-294.
10. L. Lo Presti, D. Invernizzi, R. SOAVE, R. Destro, Looking for structural phase transitions in the colossal magnetoresistive thiospinel FeCr2S4 by a multi-temperature single-crystal X-ray diffraction study, Chem. Phys. Lett., 416 (2005) 28-32.