Senior Researcher at CNR-ISTM
Expertise: Nanotechnology (Nanoparticle synthesis and characterization)
AP has obtained the Laurea in Chemistry (1988) and the Doctorate in Chemical Sciences (1992) from the University of Milan. After Post-Doc periods at the ETH Zurich (1993-1994) and the University of Milan (1995), he was appointed as a Research Scientist at CSRSRC-CNR (1996-2001) and then Senior Research Scientist at ISTM-CNR (2001-now). He has been co-ordinator of Task PM.P04.009 “Sistemi funzionali a nanoparticelle magnetiche” (2006-2010) and then Task PM.P05.012 “Nanosistemi magnetici organizzati” (2011-oggi). The initial part of the research activity was devoted to the study of chemical reactivity by a physic-chemical approach, both experimental (EPR spectroscopy) and computational (DFT reactivity indices). Then, the research focus shifted to the development of functional products based on magnetic nanoparticle comprising magnetic oxides. The research activity encompasses both fundamental aspects (colloidal stability, self-assembly, cellular uptake/trafficking/fate of nanoparticles, nanotoxicology), and applications (anisotropic or hetero-structured nanoparticles for data storage, catalytic systems, contrast agents for MRI, hyperthermal agents, intracellular peptide and small molecules carriers).
AP is author of 66 articles in ISI scientific journals, 1 book chapter, 6 science-popularizing articles in non-ISI journals, and a documentary on nanotechnology (DVD). His articles received in total 1053 citations (source: GoogleScholar) corresponding to 16 citations/article on average. His bibliometric indices are: H-index = 20 and i10-index = 33 (source: GoogleScholar). He is author of the software PEBBLES for the identification and measurement of nanoparticles from TEM images that is used by more than 400 investigators all over the world.
AP acts as a referee for high-level international scientific journals (J. Am, Chem. Soc., Chem. Eur. J., ACS Nano, J. Nanopart. Res., Adv. Mater., Adv. Syn. Catal., J. Org. Chem., J. Phys. Chem. B, J. Phys. Chem. C, J. Chem. Phys.). He has been member of national and international Project Evaluation Committees and Evaluation Committees for the enrollment of scientific staff. AP is Principal Investigator (CARIPLO 2004-1154, CARIPLO 2011-2114, CARIPLO 2012-0872, Region Lombardy “RSSPTech”) or RU/WP Co-ordinator (FP7 NANoREG 2013-2016, Region Lombardy “Nanoscienze for materials and biomedical applications” 2013-2016) of several scientific projects.
AP has been teaching the Short Course “Magnetism in solid state” matter, CLS Chemical Sciences, University of Milan for many years (2002-oggi). He has also taught in other Corsi di Laurea Magistrale (Master level) and in Doctorate Schools.
1. G. Molteni, C. L. Bianchi, G. Marinoni, N. Santo and A. Ponti, Cu/Cu-Oxide Nanoparticles as Catalyst in the Click Azide-Alkyne Cycloaddition, New J. Chem. 30 (2006) 1137-1139.
2. A. Gervasini, C. Messi, A. Ponti, S. Cenedese, and N. Ravasio, Nano-Dispersed Fe Oxide Supported Catalysts with Tuned Properties, J. Phys. Chem. C. 112 (2008) 4635-4642.
3. S. Mondini, S. Cenedese, G. Marinoni, G. Molteni, N. Santo, and A. Ponti, One-Step Synthesis and Functionalization of Hydroxyl-Decorated Magnetite Nanoparticles, J. Coll. Interf. Sci. 322
4. A. Puglisi, S. Mondini, S. Cenedese, A. M. Ferretti, N. Santo and A. Ponti, Monodisperse Octahedral α-MnS and MnO Nanoparticles by the Decomposition of Manganese Oleate in the Presence of Sulfur, Chem. Mater. 22 (2010) 2804-2813.
5. S. Mondini, A. M. Ferretti, A. Puglisi and A. Ponti, Pebbles and Pebblejuggler: software for accurate, unbiased, and fast measurement and analysis of nanoparticle morphology from transmission electron microscopy (TEM) micrographs, Nanoscale, 4 (2012) 5356-5372.
6. C. Della Pina, M. Rossi, A. M. Ferretti, A. Ponti, M. Lo Faro, E. Falletta, One-pot synthesis of polyaniline/Fe3O4 nanocomposites with magnetic and conductive behaviour. Catalytic effect of Fe3O4 nanoparticles, Synthetic Met. 162 (2012) 2250-2258.
7. S. Mondini, C. Drago, A. M. Ferretti, A. Puglisi and A. Ponti, Colloidal stability of iron oxide nanocrystals coated with a PEG-based tetra-catechol surfactant, Nanotechnology, 24 (2013) 105702.
8. S. Mondini, A. Puglisi, M. Benaglia, D. Ramella, C. Drago, A. M. Ferretti, and A. Ponti, Novel chiral imidazolidinone supported on magnetic nanoparticles as recoverable catalysts, J. Nanoparticle Res., 15, 2025 (12 pp) (2013).
9. S. D’Addato, M.C. Spadaro, P. Luches,V. Grillo, S. Frabboni, S. Valeri, A. M. Ferretti, E. Capetti and A. Ponti, Controlled growth of Ni/NiO core-shell nanoparticles: Structure, morphology and tuning of magnetic properties, Appl. Surf. Sci., 306, 2-6 (2014).
10. E. Fantechi, C. Innocenti, M. Zanardelli, M. Fittipaldi, E. Falvo, M. Carbo, V. Shullani, L. Di Cesare Mannelli, C. Ghelardini, A. M. Ferretti, A. Ponti, C. Sangregorio, P. Ceci, A Smart Platform for Hyperthermia Application in Cancer Treatment: Cobalt-Doped Ferrite Nanoparticles Mineralized in Human Ferritin Cages, ACS Nano, 8, 4705-4719 (2014).