Research Scientist at CNR-ISTM
Expertise: organic and organometallic synthesis, photochemistry and photophysics (QY, TCSPC, Kinetics), OLEDs.
He is author of 16 publications (H-index=8) and three patents in the fields of organic and organometallic chemistry for optoelectronics, energy conversion, OLEDs and on photophysical characterization of organic and inorganic luminescent materials. Since 2011 is permanent research scientist at CNR-ISTM.
Education and experiences:
•1997-2002 Laurea in Industrial Chemistry (University of Milan) – Department of Organic and Industrial Chemistry. Final mark: 110/110 cum laude. Title of the thesis: “Nuovi eteroeliceni funzionalizzati con potenziale attività ottica non lineare”. Advisor: Prof. Stefano Maiorana, Co-advisor: Prof. Emanuela Licandro
•2002-2005 Ph.D., Doctoral School in Industrial Chemistry, University of Milan – Dept. of Organic and Industrial Chemistry, Title of the thesis: “New functionalised heterohelicenes: syntheses and applications”. Advisor: Prof. Stefano Maiorana
•2005-2008 and 2011 Post-Doctorate fellowship of the University of Milan on Linear and non linear optical properties of helicenes and other organic chromophores.
•2008-2010, Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Southern California. Synthesis and photophysical characterization of Ir(III)/Pt(II) complexes. Optical and electrical characterization of vacuum processed OLEDs. Supervisor, Prof. Mark Thompson
Scientific interests and expertise: the research interests cover the interdisciplinary fields of chemistry applied to photonics and materials for light absorption and emission; in particular how molecular frameworks and structure engineering translate into optical and electronic modulation.
In the synthetic chemistry field, he is involved in the development of poly-conjugate and condensed polycyclic organic compounds characterized by low conformational freedom that allows for superior optical properties. In addition these systems are also suitable to be properly functionalized and used as chelating ligands for organometallic complexes, particularly those deriving from Ir (III), Pt(II), and those of Cu and Zn. These systems display tunable absorption and luminescent properties as well as solid state conductivity and are of interest in the fields of OLEDs, OFETs and organic solar cells.
The main tools used to study and determine the electronic behavior of both organic and organometallic derivatives comprise optical tecniques in solution and solid state, such as absorption, luminescence emission and quantum efficiency and excited state lifetimes determination.
Teaching tutoring and invited lecturer: Organic Chemistry Lab for chemistry. Co-tutor of several undergraduate students.
•2002, PhD fellowship in Industrial Chemistry awarded by the Università degli Studi di Milano.
•2006, C.I.N.M.P.I.S.: “Italian Best Ph.D. Thesis in Organic Chemistry, 2006”. Awarded during XXII National Conference of Società Chimica Italiana, invited lecturer at VI giornata scientifica dei borsisti CINMPIS
Affiliation and committee:
•2002-today: Member of the Società Chimica Italiana (SCI). Italian chemical Society, Organic Chemistry Division.
•2010-today: ACS – American Chemical Society.
•2012-today: Member organizing committee of the symposium “New Trend in Organic Synthesis” (www.sintesi.unimi.it)
•2013-today: Member of the GIF-Gruppo Italiano di Fotochimica, Italian section of the EPA-European Photochemistry Association.
1) A. Bossi, A. F. Rausch, M. Leitl, R. Czerwieniec, M. T. Whited, P. I. Djurovich, H. Yersin, Mark E. Thompson, Inorg. Chem. 2013, 52 (21), 12403–12415. DOI: 10.1021/ic4011532. “Photophysical properties of cyclometalated Pt(II) complexes: Unexpected emission blue shift with an expanded ligand p-system”
2) S. Cauteruccio, A. Loos, A. Bossi, M. C. Blanco Jaimes, D. Dova, F. Rominger, E. Licandro, A. S. K. Hashmi, Inorg. Chem. 2013, 52 (14), 7995–8004. DOI: 10.1021/ic4005533. “Gold(I) Complexes of Tetrathiaheterohelicene Phosphanes”
3) L. Viglianti, A. Bolzoni, A. Bossi, S. Cauteruccio, P. R. Mussini, C. Baldoli, E. Licandro, , Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2013, 33, 7489-7499. DOI: 10.1002/ejoc.201300745. “Synthesis, Photophysics and Electrochemistry of Tetra(2-thienyl)ethylene (TTE) Derivatives”
4) E. Longhi, A. Bossi, G. Dicarlo, S. Maiorana, F. De Angelis, P. Salvadori, A. Petrozza, M. Binda, V. Roiati, P. R. Mussini, C. Baldoli, E. Licandro, Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2013, 1, 84-94. DOI: 10.1002/ejoc.201200958, “Metal-Free Benzodithiophene-Containing Organic Dyes for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells”
5) Françoise Rose-Munch, Ming Li, Eric Rose, Jean Claude Daran, Alberto Bossi, Emanuela Licandro, and Patrizia Romana Mussini, Organometallics 2012, 31, 92−104. “Tetrathiahelicene-Based Complexes of Ferrocene and (η5-Cyclohexadienyl)tricarbonylmanganese: Synthesis and Electrochemical Studies”,
6) A. Bossi, L. Falciola, C. Graiff, S. Maiorana, C. Rigamonti, A. Tiripicchio, E. Licandro, P. R. Mussini, Electrochimica Acta, 2009, 54(22), 5083-5097. “Electrochemical activity of thiahelicenes: structure effects and electrooligomerization ability”.
7) C. Kim, T. J. Marks, A. Facchetti, M. Schiavo, A. Bossi, S. Maiorana, E. Licandro, F. Todescato, S. Toffanin, M. Muccini, C. Graiff, A. Tiripicchio, Organic Electronics, 2009, 10, 1511-1520. “Synthesis, characterization, and transistor response of tetrathia--helicene precursors and derivatives”
8) A. Bossi, E. Licandro, S. Maiorana, C. Rigamonti, S. Righetto, G.R. Stephenson, M. Spassova, E. Botek, B. Champagne, J.Phys Chem. C. 2008, 112(21), 7900-7907. “Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Electric Field Induced Second Harmonic Generation in Tetrathiahelicenes”
9) U. Giovannella, C. Botta, A. Bossi, E. Licandro, S. Maiorana, J. Appl. Phys., 2006, 100, 083107. “Electroluminescent ortho-fused thiophene dye embedded in polyvinylcarbazole”
10) M. E. Thompson, A. Bossi, P. I. Djurovich, Capture agents for unsaturated metal complexes. WO2012078453A1
11) M. E. Thompson, A. Bossi, P. I. Djurovich, Capture agents for unsaturated metal complexes generated from cleavage of metal-ligand bond in saturated metal complexes used as phosphors in electroluminescent devices, US20120138906A1