Associate Professor of Analytical Chemistry at DC UNIMI
Expertise: Electrochemistry, Electrocatalysis and Electroanalysis (particularly applied to development of advanced materials and innovative electrodes)
Born in Milano in 1963; 1981 Classical High School Degree with full marks; 1986 Five-year degree in Chemistry cum laude, Università degli Studi di Milano; 1986-1992 iunior research scientist, Dipartimento di Chimica Fisica ed Elettrochimica; 1992-2002: Researcher/Assistant Professor in Applied Physical Chemistry, in charge of Physical Chemistry and Electrochemistry Laboratory Courses; 2002-present: Associate Professor of Analytical Chemistry (2002-2010 also in charge of the Electrochemistry Laboratory Course); 2011-present: also in charge of the Advanced Electroanalytical Chemistry course. She has recently obtained the national habilitation to Full Professor in Analytical Chemistry. Tutor or cotutor of about 100 Degree theses and tutor or cotutor of several PhD Theses in chemical sciences.
Member of the International Society of Electrochemistry (ISE), covering the role of Vice-Chair of the Molecular Electrochemistry Division in 2009-2010, having been Italy’s National Representative from 2004 to 2006. Member of the Italian Chemical Society (Analytical Chemistry, Electrochemistry and Physical Chemistry, and Sensor and Energy Groups; 1999-2004 member of the Electrochemical Division Directive Committee). Member of organizing and/or scientific committees, or invited lecturer, at national and international congresses. From 2013 member of the ECHEMS Committee (in charge of an international conference series focusing on new developments in electrochemistry).
2007-2009 Italian Coordinator of a bilateral research project within the Executive Programme of Scientific and Technological Cooperation between Poland and Italy. 2011 Invited lecturer at the IFW Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research, Dresden, Germany. 2011-2014 Member of the Advisory Board of the NOBLESSE (“NanOtechnology, Biomaterials and aLternative Energy Source for ERA integration“) project, Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences (IPC-PAS), Warsaw, Poland, within the 7th European Framework Programme. 2012 Principal Investigator of the project “Inherently Chiral Ionic Liquids” awarded with one of the “Frontier Research in the Chemical Field” prizes by Fondazione Cariplo.
Referee of many authoritative international scientific journals; in 2013 Guest Editor of Electrochimica Acta. Responsible for many joint projects with Italian industries.
Her research interests, accounted for by about 150 scientific papers in peer-reviewed international journals (H index 23), more than 220 presentations at national and international meetings, several patents and a book chapter, are focused on the application of electrochemistry and electroanalysis to the study of matter and reactivity, particularly in the following areas:
1) electroanalysis and electrochemistry for the investigation and development of innovative materials for sensor, optoelectronics, and molecular photovoltaic applications, including new-concept chiral electrodes of outstanding enantiorecognition properties (Angewandte Chemie 2014, IF13.7), organic semiconductors, conducting polymers, luminescent complexes, multicenter redox systems, and electrochemically active nucleic acid probe molecules.
2) molecular electrocatalysis, for analytical, synthetic, and environmental applications, particularly focusing on the cleavage of carbon-halogen bonds in a wide range of organic halides on catalytic surfaces such as e.g. Ag and Au (mechanism, molecular structure vs reactivity relationship, effects of the reacting medium and of the electrode material);
3) fundamentals and protocols of electroanalysis in complex media, including matrices of interest in environmental chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry and food chemistry;
TEN SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS ON ELECTROCHEMISTRY OF ADVANCED MATERIALS
1. Francesco Sannicolò,Patrizia R. Mussini, Tiziana Benincori, Roberto Cirilli, Sergio Abbate, Serena Arnaboldi, Simone Casolo, Ettore Castiglioni, Giovanna Longhi, Rocco Martinazzo, Monica Panigati, Marco Pappini, Elsa Quartapelle Procopio, Simona Rizzo
Inherently Chiral Macrocyclic Oligothiophenes: Easily Accessible Electrosensitive Cavities with Outstanding Enantioselection Performances
Chemistry-a European Journal, 2014, in press
2. Francesco Sannicolo’, Serena Arnaboldi, Tiziana Benincori, Valentina Bonometti, Roberto Cirilli, Lothar Dunsch, Włodzimierz Kutner, Giovanna Longhi, Patrizia R. Mussini, Monica Panigati, Marco Pierini, and Simona Rizzo,
Potential-Driven Chirality Manifestations and Impressive Enantioselectivity by Inherently Chiral Electroactive Organic Films,
Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed. 2014, 53, 2623 –2627
3. G. Di Carlo, A. Orbelli Biroli, M. Pizzotti, F. Tessore, V. Trifiletti, R. Ruffo, A. Abbotto, A. Amat, F. De Angelis, P.R. Mussini
Tetraaryl ZnII Porphyrinates Substituted at beta-Pyrrolic Positions as Sensitizers in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells: A Comparison with meso-Disubstituted Push–Pull ZnII Porphyrinates.
Chemistry-a European Journal, 19 (2013) 10723.
4. E. Longhi, A. Bossi, G. Di Carlo, S. Maiorana, F. De Angelis, P. Salvatori, A. Petrozza, M. Binda, V. Roiati, P.R. Mussini, C. Baldoli, E. Licandro
Metal-free benzodithiophene-containing organic dyes for dye-sensitized solar cells.
Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2013 (2013) 84.
5. M. Panigati, M. Mauro, D. Donghi, P. Mercandelli, P. Mussini, L. De Cola, G. D’Alfonso,
Luminescent dinuclear rhenium(I) complexes containing bridging 1,2-diazine ligands: Photophysical properties and application
Coord. Chem. Rev. 256 (2012) 1621.
6. P.R. Mussini, A. Orbelli Biroli, F. Tessore, M. Pizzotti, C. Biaggi, G. Di Carlo, M.G. Lobello, F. De Angelis
Modulating the electronic properties of asymmetric push-pull and symmetric Zn(II)-diarylporphyrinates with para substituted phenylethynyl moieties in 5,15 meso positions: a combined electrochemical and spectroscopic investigation.
Electrochim. Acta 85 (2012) 509.
7. F. Sannicolò, S. Rizzo, T. Benincori, W. Kutner, K. Noworyta, J. W. Sobczak, V. Bonometti, L. Falciola, P. R. Mussini, M. Pierini
An effective multipurpose building block for 3D electropolymerisations: 2,2′-bis(2,2′- bithiophene-5-yl)-3,3′-bi-1-benzothiophene.
Electrochim. Acta 55 (2010) 8352
8. T. Benincori, V. Bonometti, De Angelis, L. Falciola, M. Muccini, P. Mussini, G. Rampinini, S. Rizzo, S.Toffanin, F. Sannicolò
Towards Molecular Design Rationalization in Branched Multi-Thiophene Semiconductors: The 2-Thienyl Persubstituted alpha-Oligothiophenes.
Chemistry-a European Journal,16 (2010) 9086.
9. M.Mauro, E.Quartapelle Procopio, Y.Sun, C-H.Chien, D.Donghi, M.Panigati, P. Mercandelli, P.Mussini, G.D’Alfonso, L.De Cola.
Highly Emitting Neutral Dinuclear Rhenium Complexes as Phosphorescent Dopants for Electroluminescent Devices.
Adv.Funct. Mat.19 (2009) 2607
10. A. Pietrzyk, W. Kutner, R. Chitta, M. E. Zandler, F. D’Souza, F. Sannicolò, P.R. Mussini,
Melamine Acoustic Chemosensor Based on Molecularly Imprinted Polymer Film.
Anal. Chem. 81 (2009) 10061